Happy International Woman’s Day dear ladies!
I was raised in a country where Woman’s day was very big and special occasion…I miss that now living in the country where they don’t celebrate pretty much anything, any occasion is just an excuse to drink without respect for the meaning of the occasion…
For me though, this wonderful day is still big deal and I want to congratulate all the women of the world with this happy occasion and wish them this day to be as special as it can only be! Get wine, get cake, get flowers, watch movies in candle light…treat yourself with a gift today=) Be strong, fabulous and happy all of you, no matter what life would bring!=)
I mashed up some things that are all about women and I hope you’ll enjoy it=)
Will start from small history of Women’s Day….
The first national Women’s Day was observed on 28 February 1909 in the United States following a declaration by the Socialist Party of America. In August 1910, an International Women’s Conference was organized to precede the general meeting of the Socialist Second International in Copenhagen. Inspired in part by the American socialists, German Socialist Luise Zietz proposed the establishment of an annual ‘International Woman’s Day’ (singular) and was seconded by Clara Zetkin, although no date was specified at that conference.
International Working Women’s Day now is marked on March 8 every year. In different regions the focus of the celebrations ranges from general celebration of respect, appreciation and love towards women to a celebration for women’s economic, political and social achievements.
But in many regions, the day lost its political flavour, and became simply an occasion for men to express their love for women in a way somewhat similar to a mixture of Mother’s Day and St. Valentine’s Day.
Quotes about Women…
- Women are made to be loved, not understood….(O. Wilde)
- I see when men love women. They give them but a little of their lives. But women when they love give everything…(O.Wilde)
- Women are like teabags. We don’t know our true strength until we are in hot water! (Eleanor Roosevelt )
- All the reasonings of men are not worth one sentiment of women…(Voltaire)
- When women go wrong, men go right after them. (Mae West)
- Women have always been the strong ones of the world. The men are always seeking from women a little pillow to put their heads down on. They are always longing for the mother who held them as infants. (Coco Chanel)
- Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. (Robert A. Heinlein)
- The happiest women, like the happiest nations, have no history. (George Eliot )
- So many women just don’t know how great they really are. They come to us all vogue outside and vague on the inside. (Mary Kay Ash)
- Women would rather be right than reasonable. (Ogden Nash )
- You can tell the strength of a nation by the women behind its men. (Benjamin Disraeli)
- I never realized until lately that women were supposed to be the inferior sex. (Katharine Hepburn)
- Plain women know more about men than beautiful women do. (Katharine Hepburn)
- There are no good girls gone wrong – just bad girls found out. (Mae West)
- As usual, there is a great woman behind every idiot. (John Lennon)
- No woman really wants a man to carry her off; she only wants him to want to do it. (Elizabeth Peters)
- When a man gives his opinion, he’s a man. When a woman gives her opinion, she’s a bitch. (Bette Davis)
- I’m tough, I’m ambitious, and I know exactly what I want. If that makes me a bitch, okay. (Madonna)
- The trouble with some women is that they get all excited about nothing – and then marry him. (Cher)
- The most beautiful makeup of a woman is passion. But cosmetics are easier to buy. (Yves Saint-Laurent)
- The thing women have yet to learn is nobody gives you power. You just take it. (Roseanne Barr)
- Good girls go to heaven, bad girls go everywhere. (Mae West)
- When a woman becomes her own best friend life is easier. (Diane Von Furstenberg)
- A girl should be two things: who and what she wants. (Coco Chanel)
- A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle. (Irina Dunn)
- The woman with the smallest waist in the world is Cathie Jung from the USA. Her waist is a tiny 21 inches in diameter … roughly the same as a roast chicken!
- How many women can you fit in a BMW Mini? 26 apparently. The Pilobolus Dance Company of New York broke the record in January 2011. There hadn’t been that many women on top of each other in a confined space in New York since Tiger Woods was last in town!
- In Saudi Arabia, a woman can divorce her husband if he doesn’t give her coffee!
- It is illegal to be a prostitute in Siena, Italy, if your name is Mary.
- The two people with the highest recorded IQ’s were both women. You wouldn’t blame them for thinking that ‘being intimidated’ was a permanent male character trait!
- The average woman owns 20 pairs of shoes, 11 of which they will NEVER WEAR!
- The first person ever to go over Niagara Falls in a wooden barrel was a woman, Annie Edison Taylor. She survived with just a small scratch on her head (and a worrying lack of safety awareness!).
- Josephine Baker was a very impressive woman. As well as being the first African American female to star in a major movie, and playing a big role in the Civil Rights Movement, she was also a spy during World War 2 – smuggling messages to French soldiers under her dress!
- Women talk nearly 3 times as much as men. Research has shown that women speak an average of 20,000 words a day, with men at around 7,000 words. Apparently male communication is inhibited by testosterone … whatever … this is stupid… communication … hard … me go out hunt now. (:D)
- Women spend an average 2 years of their life looking in the mirror. Well they do say that TV is not as good as it used to be.
- Seventy percent of women would rather have chocolate than sex.
- The most embarrassing thing for women is to find another woman wearing the same dress at a formal party.
- According to Playboy, more women talk dirty during sex than men.
- Women like looking at men, just as much as men like looking at women. We just know how to hide it better!
- Women hate bugs. Even the strong-willed ones need a man around when there’s a spider or a wasp involved.
- After a woman showers, the bathroom will smell like a tropical rain forest.
- Women never understand why men love toys. Men understand that they wouldn’t need toys if women had an “on/off” switch.
- The average number of items in a typical woman’s bathroom is 437. A man would not be able to identify most of these items.
- Women need to cry. And they won’t do it alone unless they know you can hear them.
- Women will always ask questions that have no right answer, in an effort to trap you into feeling guilty.
- Watch a woman eat an ice cream cone and you’ll have a pretty good idea about how she’ll be in bed.
- Woman have legs only so they won’t leave tracks like snails. (oh come on! 😀 )
- Women will drive miles out of their way to avoid the possibility of getting lost using a shortcut.
- Women do NOT want an honest answer to the question, ‘How do I look?’
- A woman will dress up to go shopping, water the plants, empty the garbage, answer the phone, read a book, or get the mail.
A list of movies celebrating women through out history….Maybe you’ll find something for you=) And here’s a list that Amazon says “Girls Who Watch These Movies Become Self-Actualized Women”. Some of the movies actually might just have that effect=)
And finally, some music for you lovely women about the power of females=)